Monday, 9 July 2007

When will Hollywood learn?


You DO NOT take a classic series of books which most people over 20 read as children and try and turn them into a modern day film set in modern times! It does not work!

Ok, admitedly I knew Nancy Drew was going to be bad, but I was bored and I don't want to end up seeing Shrek 3 a million times, so I thought I'd give Nancy a try. I mean, she's a 1950s girl living in the 21st century...sound familiar to anyone? But, it does not work. I'd solved the mystery within half an hour, the charcters were just annoying, and the only similarity to the books was that there was a character named Nancy Drew who solved mysteries. Did love her Roadster though. I could definately see myself driving one of those! In pink though! :p

The best thing about the film was the trailer on it beforehand - they've remade Hairspray! Oh my goodness, I am so excited! And John Travolta is playing Tracy's mother! It should be a scream. I can't wait!


Meanwhile, Rialto is showing some brilliant films right now and yet we are absolutely dead. Starter For 10 is one that should be bringin' the youngin's in these holidays, but it's not.

James McAvoy is popping up in a lot of our films lately, and he is very, very good. I didn't actually like any of the characters in this film, but it was very funny and makes me realise just how glad I am to have only have come along in the latter part of the 80s sparing me from the heinous fashion crimes committed in this decade! Blurgh!

Ah well, we have the International Film Festival coming up next month which we are all looking forward to. But if we don't get La Vie En Rose I will be extremely grumpy.

Oh and if 'Film Festival Guy' comes back (a.k.a my former future husband) he can forget it. I gave him an invitation to our party and he didn't show. So nice arms or not, we're over! Well, it was worth a shot, right Leigh?!
Ok, onto my tv rant. Now I have missed most of season seven of Gilmore Girls but the episodes I have caught have really annoyed me.

I am going to go against everything we have been taught to believe and say that Lorelai belongs with Christopher. Luke is just bugging me now.

And what the hell was Rory thinking turning down Logan! Admitedly, I am still a Dean fan, but come on! Did you see the size of that rock! That, and Rory and Logan both annoy me too, so they belong together.

The only characters I still love are Emily and Richard. Loved their "You're the Top" serenade last night. Go Cole Porter! Unfortunately, we've barely seen them this season. Am disgusted with the new writers. They also let a prime Fiddler on the Roof joke slip past last night, which Amy and Dan would not have, considering they have referenced Fiddler several times in the series!

Oh, am also loving Paris and Doyle. But why has Rory turned into a "normal" American girl and made friends with those two airheads?! Rory just isn't Rory anymore :( April is now Rory, which doesn't even make sense.....but don't get me started!

Being a diehard fan though, I guess I will buy season seven on dvd to complete my collection and will reserve final judgement until I have actually seen the whole season!

Oy with the poodles already!

4 comments:

Cavegirl Nat said...

I forgot to tape GG last night, so have no idea what you are talking about! But, I have to say that I don't agree that Lorelai belongs with Christopher. I also don't think she belongs with Luke either. But I wish those two would just hurry up and get back together - it's getting annoying.

Any Rory turned down a marriage proposal from Logan? Stupid cow. He's hot.

strangelittlegirl said...

Ok well where do I start...that film fest guy isn't worth it if he doesn't respond to a hot girl like you!

Secondly I am a diehard luke and lorelai fan always have been and always will be. There's nothing like it...and no one can change my mind!

And i'm praising god that rory saw sense and said no to logan - he annoys the hell outta me...i will always love jess :-)

shambles said...

Ok, I haven't seen GG in AGES!! How is it that I ended up with a wife who doesn't like it?
and totally Lorelai and Luke, I'm pretty sure Christopher is Rory's father (? as I said, it's been AGES and my memory sucks) and I just think that they're not suited for each other AT ALL, I caught an episode of it a couple of weeks back, and they're married now? What's with that?
Also, Is Jess Luke's Nephew? The hot bad guy who went to New York? If so, I'm totally with you Leigh!!!!

Cavegirl Nat said...

Yuck, Jess was a bad boy. So over them! Yeah, after the finaly, I agree about Luke and Lorelai. Good couple.