Now, you may be thinking that I'm not the kinda girl who would read Wilbur Smith, right? Margaret Mitchell, definately; Philippa Gregory, of course; Charlotte Bingham, yes, I'll admit it; but Wilbur Smith!? Well, little known fact about moi; I am in fact quite the amateur Egyptologist! (Go figure!) But much like Evie in The Mummy, I have dreamed of discovering a sarchophagus since I was a little girl. What can I say, I'm a very complex person!
In fact, to quote my cousin after we first saw The Mummy, "Oh my God! You ARE Evie!" Which I'm afraid is rather true...except for the fact that I'm nowhere near as gorgeous as Rachel Weisz. Sigh.
It's actually quite disturbing the number of tv shows and movies I turn up in. I was persuaded by the ex to watch season two of Blackadder because I 'featured' in it - Queenie anyone? "Sometimes I think about having your head cut off just to see the look on your face!"
Anyway, the previous ex got me reading River God which I absolutely loved, so have collected all of Smith's Egypt books, the latest being The Quest. I started it last night, but stopped when I got up to the part where eyeballs are being removed with bamboo needles. Yeah. I skipped that bit.
So, I have promised myself that after I go give my house a good....or at least an OK clean, I can curl up on the couch and go back in time a few thousand years.
Bugger. That means putting away the laundry. My most loathed upon of all household chores.

No comments:
Post a Comment